I'm not sure where I saw this idea but I knew when I had children I wanted to make them one of these with some of there special momentos filled inside.
What I did.... I purchased a plain one gallon paint can from Home Depot and decorated it with scrapbook paper, ribbon, and embellishments. I finished it off with a coat of Mod Podge to help protect it. Now what you put inside your time capsule is completely up to you and when you want to open it is also completely up to you. A friend of mine sealed hers up to be opened on her daughters 18th birthday. I left mine open so I can still add little momentos as my daughter gets older. It's a wonderful baby shower gift and even better it's handmade and from the heart. Aren't those the best kind of gifts?
WHAT I ADDED... You can add whatever you like to your time capsule. You can see I added my daughter's first baby booties, her toque from the hospital, her baby bracelet and even a newborn diaper. I figure it will be neat to see how little she was when she was born and how diapers looked when she was born. I didn't stop there, I included her birth announcement, foot imprint, her birth powerpoint dvd, my favourite newborn photos and a small booklet detailing my pregnancy, labour and delivery and her first birthday.
MAKE AN ALTERED PAINT CAN.....
* for your child's teacher and fill it with tea /coffee, starbucks gift card or mug
* for a friend and fill it with pictures and their favourite chocolate
* for a dad or grandpa and fill it with golf balls and tees, small tools or fishing supplies.
* for a child and fill it with art supplies or small toys
* for a mommy or grandma and fill it with cookie cutters and recipe cards